UN General Assembly (File UN Photo)
Baku (UNA-OIC) – The provisional agenda of the 31st special session of the UN General Assembly, which was convened on 10 July on the initiative of Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev, has been announced.
The agenda of the 31st special session is as follows:
1. Opening of the session by the Chair of the delegation of the President of the General Assembly’s 74th regular session.
2. Minute of silent prayer or meditation.
3. Credentials of representatives to the special session of the General Assembly:
(a) Appointment of the members of the Credentials Committee;
(b) Report of the Credentials Committee.
4. Election of the President and other officers.
5. Adoption of the agenda.
6. Organization of the session.
7. General debate.
The initiative of President Aliyev to convene a special session of the UN General Assembly via videoconference on the fight against the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic enjoyed broader support from member states than required by the UN General Assembly’s procedural rules.
It is noteworthy that UN Secretary General António Guterres sent a note to all the member countries on 30 June 2020, in which he pointed out that the initiative was supported by most of the UN member states.
The head of the delegation from which the President of the seventy-fourth regular session of the General Assembly (Nigeria) was elected, held the temporary presidency of the special session.
The head of the Nigerian delegation, representing the Chairperson of the General Assembly’s 74th session, will act as interim chairperson of the special session.